Sunday 18 March 2012

Conversations with my son

Yesterday afternoon, my son poured himself yet another glass of milk. He goes through a 4L bag of milk in about a day so him pouring a glass isn't that odd. He looked at the milk, sighed, then said, "If I could have any superpower in the world, I'd love to be able to make milk. It would come shooting out of my fingers every time I wanted a glass."

My first thought was, of course, mess. I've seen how easily he can trash a room even without milk spurting from his fingertips at a thought. Slopping while pouring a glass is nothing compared to a child who got thirsty in the middle of the night and flooded his whole bed and floor with milk.

Then came my second thought. "I had that superpower," I commented nonchalantly. His eyes widened. "You did?" he asked incredulously.

"Yes hon," I reminded him. "I breastfed you for years and your sister too."

I'm not sure if me having his "superpower" moved me up a notch in his mind, or bumped his superpower down.

Then came our conversation last night. In the past week, son's picked up a weird cough. It doesn't happen often, maybe once or twice a day. But when he coughs it's disconcerting. He asked if he could have asthma and I jump and think he's choking each time. He draws a gasp of breath in then chokes and wheezes for a few seconds... then is fine again. Of course he picked this up the day before going away to visit his grandmother and came home on Friday evening, after the doctor was closed. I'm making him an appointment tomorrow but, as of yet am clueless as to what it could be.

We're chatting on the couch when my son looked at me and asked, "Mom, why do I keep coughing like this?"

I'm known for being just a tad sarcastic and my reply was a deadpan, "It's the bubonic plague. I'd write my will now if I were you."

Son sits upright and eagerly asks, "Really? What's the bulbic playground?"

Sarcasm works so much better when the person you're talking to is listening and knows what the hell you're talking about.

Also, I labelled this post "bubonic plague" just to see how many people find it through that tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment