Wednesday 2 November 2011

Tried something new today

I saw a recipe for stove top lasagna last week and thought it looked interesting. However it called for broken lasagna noodles and a lot of cheese. We're selling lasagna casserole at work these days too and that one's with egg noodles. I decided to fiddle around with ingredients and make my own today and it turned out really well.

2 cups water
carton or jar strained tomatoes
package of Yves veggie ground (equivalent of two pounds ground beef)
2tsp pureed garlic
1 container fat free cottage cheese
a whole whack of spices (I used liberal shakes of Mrs Dash spicy pepper blend and table shake and President's Choice salt-free sun-dried tomatoes and herbs)
1 package extra-broad egg noodles
a bit of Havarti

I brought all the ingredients, minus the noodles and Havarti, to a boil in a big electric skillet. Then I dumped in the noodles, put on the lid, and let it boil for 10 minutes... stirring occasionally.

Once the ten minutes was up I diced up some Havarti (three slices, each about 2cm thick) and sprinkled it into the mixture. Then put the lid back on for another minute until the cheese melted.

It was good and my son almost inhaled it. I'll definitely be making it again. If you're making this with minced dead cow I'd fry that first. Veggie ground is pre-cooked.

I found these treats at our local dollar store today for $2!

Each square is a decent size and about 67 calories (the serving size is 3 squares at 200 calories)... and they're yummy! It's nice to have something small to stick into my work bag for lunch. I think I'll go back and pick up another bag.

Son is off at swimming lessons. I was looking forward to going to the Y with him tonight and using the elliptical for a half hour, then I remembered our community group meets tonight. I'll have to go to the Y on Friday evening for sure!

It's been a good day and I'm aiming for just as good a day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment