Wednesday 13 April 2011

Consistant Exercise

I recently realized that when I joined our local YMCA my exercise went down. Before I joined the Y, I was using a Wii Game called the My Fitness Coach and exercising for 15 minutes almost every morning.

It's not an exciting program. Maya, the computerized personal trainer, is very obviously computerized and it has some glitches like occasionally tossing you the same exercise 4 times in a row (Swim2 again?). But I don't have to travel to get there and I can get up 20 minutes earlier before work and get some exercise in.

When we got our Y membership I was thrilled with all the options. Swimming, a walking track, exercise bikes, ellipticals, treadmills, a bunch of classes. Except life keeps getting in the way. Ooo... boxfit's this Thursday evening. Oh... teenage daughter has a dentist appointment at the same time and can't sign the paperwork. And it's easy after working on my feet for 8 hours to say "I've had enough exercise today, I'll go next week". Not to say we never get to the Y, we're usually there twice a week. But a 45 minute long session and half an hour on the elliptical don't add up to seven 15 minute sessions. And usually isn't every week.

Two days ago I bought myself a new exercise mat and ball from our local Shoppers Drug Mart and, starting yesterday morning, I decided I am going to exercise for 15 minutes a morning every morning PLUS hit the Y on both Monday and Thursday for Bars & Plates and Boxfit. I'm dragging my teenage son with me (teenage daughter has a knee injury and won't get dragged until we sort out exactly what's wrong with her knee). Anything else we get done at the Y will be a bonus.

What are you doing for exercise?

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried Just Dance 2 on the wii? It's a heck of a workout - I have to sit down after a few songs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried it. I'll have to take a look at it!

    ReplyDelete